Tuesday, August 22, 2006

HUMANITY IN THE DIRT PIT....


I have a little story...
I took Lilly for a walk this morning.
I was half asleep,and a bit blurry eyed.
It was early, I try to take her out before the Construction Activity and Traffic gets bad.
I live on a main Artery where there is Huge Construction now with Huge Earth Movers,
and Back Hoes, and other gigantic yellow dirt monsters.
I always wave and talk to the construction guys, they are nice guys, family guys.
I see them alot, sharing sandwiches, cigarettes and laughing.
And they are even nice to my little dog throwing little left over lunch snacks.
So this morning I took her out, and I was foggy brained asleep.
I am sure these construction workers have seen me stumbling around with
her these past 5 monthes, and always wondered if I would fall in a hole with her.

Today I came back inside, drank tea and watched Cspan, still trying to get rid of this
friggin' cold. And it dawned on me hours later, that I had lost my cellphone.
Now I assumed it was lost in my apartment.
But I could not find it anywhere...

I was a little worried, cause I just fired SBC this week,
and it really is my only link to the world.
And if my son needs me...
And all those applications I have sent out.
Yikes.
But no phone.
( Not like I could call someone for help?!)

So at 1:30 pm, after lunch I take Lilly out and while I am walking something almost magical happens.
This older white haired construction fella in his flourescent vest says
"Hey Lady, You lost Something?"
He asks with a shy smile.
And then he holds up my phone, and nods to the Pit next to him.
I could not believe it.I obviously expressed my thanks and was so happy,
gave him a big dusty hug.
"Yeah, and I bet you thought Chivalry was long dead?"
"No, But I have definently had my doubts about Humanity."

19 comments:

billie said...

some people restore my sense of humanity. my thought is- it takes so little effort to be kind- less than being horrible. apparently, this gentleman thought so too. thanks.

azgoddess said...

how nice..

people - can be human to each other

you have restore my faith in humanity for a small tiny part of my day!!

Anonymous said...

you started it, enigma...

I always wave and talk to the construction guys

you are nice to them (even though they might be making a lot of noise at ungodly hours and inconveniencing everybody on your street) and they are nice back...what a concept!

(I'll allow for the possibility that it might be because you look "hot" stumbling around with your dog)

enigma4ever said...

The best part was I think I did need a little affirmation and I try always hard to be nice to others, but never really expect anything back...so getting a Little Something Back was just such a gift...

( I got him cookies later in the day...had to Do Something,...)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful experience well told! coming from a construction family & having been in the const biz myself, I can honestly say they are some of nicest guys around. How they got so stereotyped is beyond me, a little salty language just livens up the day. So it doesn't surprise me at all that they kept your cellphone safe. I don't think you'd have had the same results if you'd lost your phone in a so-called free speech zone. D.K.

enigma4ever said...

DK: well, we know that I like a bit of the salty language...does not bother me a bit...and I like guys that work with their hands..down to earth...People are people...and if anyone is in my "neighborhood" everyday- I get to know ya'....how we all Connect to each other is all that matters...

Peacechick Mary said...

Whew! I was sweating the loss of the phone right along with you and then got the good feeling of a happy turn of events. The cookie thing makes it even better. Chalk one up for the good guys.

Rory Shock said...

just some of your good vibe comin' back at you ... nice

robin andrea said...

Nice story. I often need to be reminded to have a little faith in humanity, mostly because I find most people so disappointing. I am married to someone who has spent some time in construction (not big projects), but I do know the humanity of those crews. Good hard-working guys. Really good of you to bring him cookies. That's what life is all about. Small details of the heart.

enigma4ever said...

Robin Andrea, Rory, and Peacechick....
it was a good day...all of us need days like that...and it was so unexpected ...a gift...

Frederick said...

Ah...the rule of three, once again.

meldonna said...

You know, when I was a kid, I spent a coupla years working in an auto shop, and got a good chance to see humanity as it is. We had a bunch of good fellas, several lazyasses, and a couple of old soreheads. It's been my experience that's a pretty good example of just about every work place I've been at since. And probably the source of most of my optimism. People, for the most part are good folk -- and even the old soreheads tend to step up when the situation calls.

But we always need more folks bringing cookies!!!

DivaJood said...

Lovely story. I know a lot of construction guys, good people all of them UNLESS politics enters the conversation. Then I have to leave, lest I rip heads off. Dinner on Friday night, one of the nicest guys in the bunch, an electrician, referred to all Arabs as "Rag Heads." Meanwhile, Tim would go to the ends of the earth to help a person. How do we balance this?

sumo said...

Happy for you...admit I was a little scared that the story was leading up to something befalling the dog. I was relieved it was the phone. Relieved you got it back too.

eProf2 said...

Enigma, your tale tells of the goodness of people and the Golden Rule (which is stated in every religion) works. Small "d" democrats have got to believe in the goodness of folks otherwise democracy wouldn't work at all. I wish for you more of the same.

gugon said...

Nice post. Good to be reminded that people still care enough to help each other out once in a while.

enigma4ever said...

Thanks to all...and yeah, if we could get the Dems to wake up and remember what matters Prof that would help, Mel- always more cookies, Sumo- no worries my dog always come through thick and thin...and Diva sounds like a tough bunch...

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

It is times like those that offers up hope, eh? It is that which must stay with us...not the terror scam or the lies of war...but the humanity of such a simple act of kindness.

NEWSGUY said...

Nice that you got your phone back. That photo of the guys sitting on the I-Beam a thousand yards above the street gives me the willies. An actual scary tickle in the pit of my stomach.