Friday, December 15, 2006

Edward Hopper on a Tropical Celtic Breeze

Edward Hopper


This is another interesting Gallery Post. I love Edward Hopper, the Cafe Regulars here know that as I use his art on my posts quite often. I even like to visualize the Enigma Cafe looking like his smokey Nighthawks painting, that has a bit of a Bogart Movie quality.....I love how he uses both Light and Dark. I also love that he often used his wife in his paintings, there is something soft and sentimental but Real about her.He paints people and places in a way that gently embraces Loneliness. The painting of the Hotel, looks very similiar to the Decrepid Dilapitated Rooming house I managed with my son in California 2 years ago, in kind of a romantic rundown way. Sadly the Clown painting gave him awful nightmares when he was little ( he only saw it once in a museum- that was enough). And I strongly identify with the woman sitting on the bed looking out the window....She is Lost in Thought....Oh, if Only She had had a Blog.

*** The music is by an unfamiliar band but very welldone, the KNIFE.**

5 comments:

DivaJood said...

Hopper is one of my favorite artists. His work is all about light. People look at his work and think of the isolation, but what he was truly focusing on was light and the variations. By simple use of that focus, he created powerfully emotive work.

enigma4ever said...

DIVA: yup..all about the light..so magical..so wonderful...he is amazing...

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about Peter Boyle. He was a fine actor. I saw a headline a few days ago about the death of an "Everybody Loves Raymond" star, but it didn't register as I'm not familiar with the series.

However, Young Frankenstein is one of my all time favorites. In fact, I tried (with limited success) to teach my dog the Peter Boyle part in the hilarious "Putting on the Ritz" routine. It works pretty well if you have a dog that whines on cue.

enigma4ever said...

Betty: that was too funny- you tried to teach your dog- we had an old Bassatt and we were always trying to teach her songs, tricks..I used to sing the National Nathem ( like when a baseball game had just started on TV- and she would just Howl.....so much for singing skills)...

dog that whines on cue too funny.

Anonymous said...

you'll have to tell your son clowns need to eat dinner (and apparently smoke), too! but I agree, Hopper painted him as a particularly ghastly apparition. If it wasn't for his clown clothes, I might have mistaken him for a zombie.

I LOVE Betty Cracker's idea for teaching her dog to sing Peter Boyle's part of "Puttin' on the Ritz"! We already have canine accompaniment for the Star Spangled Banner & Marine Corp Hymn, so this should be fun. Need a top hat & cane, though. ~~ D.K.