Monday, January 15, 2007

April 1968: In Honor of MLK


[This was originally posted twice last year, in honor of MLK I am reposting].

Whenever I think of the year that Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were taken from us, I also think of my Aunts. In particular my Aunt May. She lived in downtown Baltimore on Eutaw Street in a mammoth old brownstone during the 1960's, her last decade.

She was my great great Aunt. Her real name was Margeret May , her stage name was Margeurite.She had lived quite a life by the time I stumbled bandaids and chewing gum, into her historic living room. Her house was like a museum, full of trinkets and prescious relics from around the world and a lifetime of adventures and secrets. She was born after the Civil War in Kentucky. She spent her early years wandering with her dad, from Virginia to DC to Kentucky. And as she grew older she would help carry his supplies. Her mother died when she was small, and she was always blaming that for a lack of ladylike manners.

Her dad was one of Lincoln's photographers, he traveled with the Brady Pack. He didn't make alot of money, but he did get to keep the rejected plates and the faulted pictures. ( And in case you are wondering- Lincoln was NOT photogenic, and he really did have a good side, and a not so good side). The old photographes were kept up on the 3rd floor, lined up around the walls. They told of a Lincoln that we never saw in the History books. They showed him dozing in a chair, playing cards in a tent with Union troops, and hugging one of his sons. There were none with his wife "And Don't that about say IT All, although I heard she didn't photgraph so well." Aunt May used to say. There were also photographs of battle scenes, bloody carnage and singed buildings that remained stained with blood , even though they were not in color.These graphic pictures fascinated me. Even shots from surgery tents."Whelp, she is fascinated with the bloody medical stuff, she will be a surgeon or a Killer" Aunt May would joke to my grandmother. Flo would tell her to shush.

I would go to visit my Aunt May with my grandmother ,especially that particular April as my mom's Dad was in the hospital at Hopkins that spring, and we had just moved back from Indiana that winter, and she needed my sister and I out of her hair. Aunt May 's museum was my first choice, my sister went to a friend's house. Aunt May had pictures from around the world, places she had traveled and sang.Her house was abig lumbering Brownstone it was a Museum that you could smell and touch the past. When you opened the door it hit you in waves, the aromas , dusty books,Strong Black Tea, French Perfume, Myr and Patchouli from India,and Okra Gumbo steeping on the back stove. She was an Opera Singer and Actress in the early 1900's. Her stage name had been Marguerite. Her old programs were also in a box in the 3rd floor. She was a beauty, she sang, danced, acted and did Vaudeville. She had long flowing hair and beautiful eyes. She was even painted by some pretty famous painters in Europe, in some very interesting outfits.And yet when she spoke she still had a Kentucky lilt. She told amazing stories that were all her own.

She would come up to the 3rd floor with me and sit on an old velvet stool and show me the old photos from all over that her dad had taken, of the South after the war, freed slaves, and coal miners, and also urban pictures of life in downtown Baltimore in the Victorian Era, and even of the Balitmore Fire ( when her dad ran out to get the pictures and almost lost his house in his own fiery enthusiasm. ). She had saved them all, the plates were carefully seperated with felt and tissue. She also had her Entire collection of National Geographics, she had been one of the First Women to join the "Society", and she was proud of that. She also was one of the first women to vote in Baltimore. She gave me my first Brownie camera and said I was going to be a photojournalist.( I used to wonder if she knew I became a nurse, and was she dissappointed.) She and my grandmother would give me little notebooks and I would question people at the family events and write down their stories. ( My pictures never quite turned out).

Now the funny thing was that some of the other peripheral Aunties , that I was not close to , but who did come to the Family events used to say that she was a "Lesbian", in that loud hushed falsetto whisper that would make any one cringe. She used to laugh about it. One day we were cleaning her room and she said with a bold "Do you want to meet my men?" I of course said "sure".
She brought out a huge old hat box, inside were photos and love letters and it was pretty full. My grandmother walked in , right when I was asking " But Granny Ethel says that you like Women better than Men ?" She and my grandmother both laughed.

" Well, I have never been able to know what to do about That, I guess I should have told the truth. Ethel is my cousin and she is a good godfearing Christian, and I was afraid if she knew that I had had affairs with quite a few married men, that all my holidays would have been spent listening to how fast I was going to Hell. And for some reason the Women story was just easier, it rendered her speechless.She had Jesus and I had my men."

We were at her house the night that Martin Luther King was shot dead and Robert Kennedy spoke about it on TV. Aunt May said " Now the Trouble will Begin." I didn't know what she meant, and I didn't know why she was so upset, I only knew that I had chills and a deep emptiness. She hustled into the Kitchen and began making soup, this she did whenever she was troubled. She would chop, dump and stir, and the pot would boil and hiss. Flo said " Now May you don't know that...for certain". "Oh, Yes I do." Flo didn't say another word. She used to say that May had a way of Knowing Things. I asked her was it like fortune telling.I needed to Know. She said it was more like perdicting weather, and that of all the Aunties , May always Knew things first. Things that Mattered.

I remember watching Robert Kennedy that night, and I asked" Aunt May if he was Hated too? ""or did people fear him? "She shook her head and cried as she stirred the soup witb rage, angst and sorrow. She was 90 years old. I was almost eight, just days away. And that night there was singing outside, hymns and gospel songs and Aunt May went and got candles to put in the windows.She was too upset to sing. We stayed and then went home late.It rained as we drove home. Flo said "Maybe God was crying with us". I remember hearing the wipers squeak and handing her kleenex and lifesavers out of the box on the seat. It was a sad rain. And the lifesavers tasted salty.

Later that spring as summer came Aunt May explained that she had had voice pupils that now were grown and taught in Boston and that they told her about Coretta Scott King, and how she went to Boston, and that she had the Voice of an Angel. And that she fell in love with Martin in the early 1950's and he fell in love with her. Aunt May talked about how they loved each other and how they Believed in each other. She said, now that isn't Romance, that is true Love. They Marched together. They shared a Cause. She said" Now , yes, if I had found That, I would have been married." She also explained that she Knew that Coretta would Never remarry. She talked about their Love, and trying to raise children with bombs and threats and Martin being taken to Jail. She used to talk to me about it, becuase she said she was worried that I wasn't get "Taught Right at school. They keep everything too Damn Polite".

Aunt May lived in an all Black section of downtown Baltimore, but she had lived in the house, and owned it herself for over 50 years.My grandmother was always trying to talk her into moving uptown with her and Ted, but she would shush her pretty fast. She was very stubborn. "This is MY Home and these are my neighbors, and we all know each other. They don't treat me like some fragile old person, they treat me with respect. They don't care what color I am. You go home and tell Ted that." ( Ted was granny Ethel's eldest son and he had some strong feelings about the eccentric old aunt that refused to leave downtown ). And later that summer The Riots happend after Robert Kennedy was killed and we came to her house one day and found Baseball bats behind her door. Flo was not happy about this find. "May???". Aunt May shook her head. " Please , please think about coming Uptown with us?"
" They are grieving, angry. They are my neighbors. I will not abandon my neighbors during times of Trouble.This is my Home."

It turned out that each evening the Men of the neighborhood would come and sit with Missy May, and guard her house. And yes, they were black, and it didn't matter to her, and it didn't matter to them. They were neighbors.She would serve them soup and they would talk as Downtown Burned. And yes a bottle of best bourbon was shared for strength and they sat there in the dark with baseball bats. And she would sing softly. She got through the Baltimore Riots with not so much as a broken window.

She used to sing "This Old Man" and "Where Have all the Flowers Gone"," Amazing Grace" and brush my hair, and later when I had a baby of my own I realized how grateful I was that she taught me that lullabies are for Troubled Times and Troubled Souls.Once again we are living in Troubled Times.

May Coretta be remembered as the Brave Wise Woman that Marched with Martin by his side, and sang to his Soul, and carried on his Work and his Love, and The Dream.

36 comments:

enigma4ever said...

I started this on Friday...and then Blogger was down almost all of sat...and then I finished early Monday and I was going to go back and edit..but I decided to just leave it raw....my apologies for mistakes....

Anonymous said...

enigma i believe that the best writing comes straight from the heart and is best left unedited...HST did that often when putting together the "nut" of books like Hell's Angels and FLLV...and maybe blogger being down was a way to give you the time to get it right...who cares about spelling mistakes, correcting those later (if necessary) is proofreading, not editing...nice piece of work!

Unknown said...

Very nice..gave me chills..I know Baltimore and Eutaw St..so it meant alot to me..reading this wonderful piece of your life growing up. Bravo dear woman..you and May :)

Granny said...

what mistakes? it was perfect.

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks Enigma! Hmm, lesbian insinuations or affaira...how to decide the swiftest path to hell and damnation????? :)

enigma4ever said...

Miane friend: Thanks for coming by...and yes maybe you are right maybe the piece needed to ferment while Blogger sat broken..and maybe the piece isn't impaired after all. And maybe there is a Hell's Angels in my future- May would have appreciated that ;-)

KVATCH: We need a new backbone, I can only hope and pray that the torch has been passed ....These women are not gone- they are still with us.

Lilly: Yup, I think May would have gotten along just fine in this world- and I would love to have heard what she had to say about Bush...she certainly didn't like Nixon much....She used to joke about Hell, " I hope they have good BBQ" ( she really was so funny...)

GRANNY: Thanks...not perfect , but the way it was meant to be...

DUSTY: So nice to share the story with a Baltimore soul..and that you even recognize the street...Thanks for appreciating a piece of my Baltimore childhood.Some of my Aunties taught me manners and others taught me Bigger Lessons...

Richard said...

Another lovely piece, Enigma.

'Amazing Grace' and 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone' are still sung to this very day - by some - including me.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute, don't change a thing! I have a feeling Great Aunt May would be proud.

I choked up over how the neighbors helped guard her house and wonder if that kind of closeness has been totally lost when all we do is wave hello from our cars as we pass by.

Do you have access to any of those old candid Lincoln pictures? I think those kind of authentic unposed pictures are always the most affecting. A glimpse of life in pre-photo-shop days! D.K.

Anonymous said...

enigma, to the point of your Aunt May and her personal life, it sounds like she had a good handle on another country(?) witticism...

"if you can't dazzle them with the truth, baffle them with bullshit!"

Unknown said...

Great post E4E. Now that you have my curiousity peaked, I would love to see some of those pics, like the art work you talked about a while back. Sound very valuable and a part of the fabric of our culture. Much like your Great, Great Aunt May. Her spirit indeed lives through you. And may we be the ounce a person Mrs. Scott King was.

Blog on.

meldonna said...

That was indeed a story worth waiting for! The one of the saddest things about 21st century life is how seldom the young take the time to talk to, or listen to the old. It's a crying shame to waste all that wisdom.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

enigma4ever said...

Some Replies:
WINDSPIKE: I would love to post the old Lincoln photos, but there is a sad postscript to the story. In the end when I was 11, we had to clean out her house and my mother did something really awful, absolutely wretched...she SOLD THEM in a YARD SALE....yes, I NEVER got over it.....ever.
( makes me watch alot of Antiques Roadshow) I am so sorry.

MAINIAC: I really don't understand that comment- she did travel and she did sing, she was a performer- and she had the programs and photos to show her life in full.She was famous in her day. There was not bullshit in her stories, she was the Real Thing. She was a selfmade woman, and she had a full wonderful life. I am very proud of her and that she taught me well.

DK: Thanks for your kind words. She has been on my mind alot, and yes, I wonder if there is any "Neighborliness" left in the world. And yes, the baseball bats and those kind brave men were very inspiring. But I also really admire that she felt their pain and appreciated the Events as they happened.

Richard: Those songs still matter and still touch people. You can sing them anytime.

If any of you have a chance be sure to see Clinton's speech at Coretta's funeral. And also Maya Angelou was Amazing- fire and grace....very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

sorry, enigma, my comment was directed specifically to the supposition by family members that your aunt was a lesbian, when in fact her attic was full of evidence that she had rich and rewarding relationships with men, although in a manner that would have subjected her to unwanted preaching and damnation by those of both genders (perhaps?) who would look down on such relationships...it was in no way directed to her life in general, which appears to have been full of dazzling truth...by not actively countering those suppositions, which were only spoken about in hushed whispers, she may have been able to spare all from any acrimony that might have resulted from open discussion of the truth...thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify...i meant no offense to her memory...

enigma4ever said...

Maine Friend: Thanks for clarifying, sorry if I was sensitive to the comments- it seems I misunderstood. She took the only road she could have taken....half of my family is Staunch Judgemental Repugs (cough- my awful mom who sold The Pictures at a yard sale), and then Granny Ethel- a wonderful mother , a widow who raised two headstrong boys alone...but thought that May lived a Reckless Wanton life ( true to some degree)...what I find interesting is that she wasn't some heathen HellBound woman- she was actually very spiritual and sensitive and kind, for having never really gone to church...These two, the cousins fought often at family events- and yet they were in many stubborn ways alike more than they would ever want to admit or recognize.

meldonna said...

I just saw part of Cousin Bill's eulogy on the news...wish I could have seen the whole thing...'there's a woman in there!' Leave it to Bill to bring out the human touch, and good on him for having Hil at his side. That's what a funeral should be -- a celebration of a loved one's life.

enigma4ever said...

Reading for the Posse:
GROWING UP KING, BY Dexter King....excellent read...


and your Lincoln Quote of the Day
about Corruption: "What Kills the Skunk is the publicity it gives itself"....hmm, does it remind anyone of Rove.

MEL: Thanks for the comments and yes seeing Bill speak- was such a lift...He spoke from the Heart....

NEWSGUY said...

Great story. Fascinating narrative.

And my god, those Lincoln photos. I am a kind of Lincoln nut. Been to Sangamon (young man) and Elizabethtown (born) and Springfield (railroad lawyer and tomb) and even Ford's Theatre (shot). Read dozens of Lincoln and Civil War books. "Why Was Lincoln Shot" by Eisenschiml posits that Seward had something to do with it, and lays out a good case. But those PHOTOS.

I have a book with every known Lincoln photo. Never heard of any you describe. Yard sale? Original plates? No wonder you never got over it. Now I'll never get over it.

Unknown said...

Hey E4E, it's like the time my mother sold my whole comic book collection at a yard sale while I was in college - Execpt way worse. Holy shit! I can't believe it - sold the plates out from under your nose, and probably for fifty cents each. They belong in the Smithsonian, no?

Unknown said...

This story was great I stopped by and just started reading your post,I love history and the way you told it just took me there. I am sorry about the photos they would have been worth a fortune,but you have saw them and keep that memory and that of Aunt May,she must have been quite a woman.

enigma4ever said...

WITHINREASON: I am glad that you came by, and also that you appreciate history- I wish more did so...I don't care what the photos were worth, it was more how beautiful they were,and a side that we have never seen- and is now gone for ever because my mother didn't like "Clutter"...I fought her tooth and nail and lost. They were priceless and not replacable. I consider myself a forgiving person- but it's true that I could not forgive her. The Picture of Lincoln laughing and hugging his son was never made public, because his team felt that it would hurt his War Image, isn't that odd. ( It showed a softer side of him).

WINDSPIKE: SHE DIDN"T ???? I am horrified- my son has vast collections I have moved them with great care- there are somethings in life that MUST be treasured- always. I am so sorry that she did that. And yes , as I said above it was pretty bad- I did my best- but I couldn't save them. I have searched for them- I will always look for them....( I did try to talk her into donating them to the Walters Art Gallery in Baltimore).

NEWSGUY: Oh, wonderful a Lincoln fiend, me too. And I too have looked for them, the rule was that teams that took photos- the rejects were basically dumped- and these were considered rejects- they were not listed in any Brady collections. ( The photographers kept their prints, because they had to buy and transport all their supplies according to what Aunt May said). And yes I have searched libraries and collections all over the country. Sorry..and yes, I will never get over it...but I don't think I should...

Anonymous said...

e4e, one can only hope that those priceless pictures are now in the possession of someone who at least knows who Lincoln was and values them in some degree...even in the coarse sense of their financial value...perhaps they will turn up somewhere when they are passed down to another generation or found in a search through the forgotten belongings of the current owner...i find it hard to imagine that anybody who's been educated in America hasn't heard of the history behind the man...you did what you could, given your relative youth at the time they were lost...a rhetorical question, to be sure, but why is it that the truly visionary people in our history are always the ones who are cut down in their prime???

Dada said...

Excellent, excellent tale e4e. Powerful. And you know why I loved your recollections herein? Because this morning in the kitchen fixing coffee before sunrise, I thought of this blog, your story of Aunt May. Sometime later I snapped back to reality, unawares of what I'd done in the kitch the past 5 or 10 minutes because I had drifted into reveries of my own *special* "Aunt May". I hadn't thought of Uncle Andy in some time, but I did this morning. I think that's the beauty of your tale. It has the power to evoke those wonderful folks from our pasts. Hence, the tremendous outpourings of gratitude expressed here at your sharing Aunt May with us all.

Graeme said...

Very good. It reminds me to make sure and ask my older relatives about past life experiences. They probably have a lot of interesting stories.

enigma4ever said...

Graeme: The Older Folk always have tales to tell..if we only listen...thanks for appreaciating..

DADA; Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that it reminded you of your special someone, Uncle Andy...I have been making soup alot recently - and not just because it is cold here by Lake Erie- I realized that it is more than that...we are indeed living through Troubled Times and it is time to grasp the Messeges and Lessons of the past. It is funny this blog started merely as a place for me to vent and not throw so much at the TV ...but it has turned into something else entirely....

Maine Friend: The important thing is that I learned a valuable Lesson , and I also learned how to fight for what matters. And than many days when I could have gone out in played I knew that sitting in the that 3rd floor on Eutaw and listening to Aunt May's stories and looking at the photographs was much more important. She truly was History.....It is what we Learn that Matters...

Kemp said...

Excellent post Enigma. We all have that special Aunt/Uncle, that "Aunt May" if you will.

Mine was my Uncle Nishan. More like a grandfather to me than an Uncle, he was a SAHD (due to a Heart Attack when he was younger) before SAHD's were fashionable and hip.

He had a love for everyone and everything. He would spend his own money on getting the feral cats in his neighborhood fixed, would feed them, created a special house for them complete with a heater, and watched out for them.

He was a lifelong Democrat. A union press-operator when he was working, and a smart, loving person.

He passed away 3 years ago, the day before my 30th birthday and not a day goes by that I don't remember some pearl of wisdom of his or his gentle smile. I am grateful that my twin daughters were able to meet the man I was named after (my middle name is Nishan) before he passed away.

Anonymous said...

Just checking in, Enigma. Lots of great comments on this!

enigma4ever said...

Lilly : hey there stay awhile- I will put the kettle on....it's an OOlong day here by the Lake...and more snow...

Kemp: I loved hearing about your Uncle, bless you for carrying forward his name and his gifts. The cats being cared for says alot about him....what a wonderful soul.

And yes, I think all of us have someone special that influenced, taught and gave us lessons that we treasure...if anyone wants to share here...All are welcome...I love sharing stories...we all learn from each other...that is What it is All about

Anonymous said...

I don't know about other Lincoln fiends, but I really enjoyed reading Gore Vidal's LINCOLN. He showed the human side of the man/myth & really fleshed out the whole supporting cast of players (Seward, Chase, Grant, McClellan etc). But then, I enjoy anything Gore Vidal writes, says or thinks. I wonder if he & Hunter Thompson ever collaborated on anything? Keen observers, both. D.K.

enigma4ever said...

DK: Thanks for reminding me of Gore Vidal- I bet Newsguy has read him too?

And Gore is amazing...skip over to This Ol'Brit on my Blogroll ( Richard) and give him a read- he has a wonderful post about Gore Vidal....
thanks for coming by....

jurassicpork said...

Hey, anyone who can put up with Spider Man must be a saint.

Am I making light of a family saint? If so, I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist...

enigma4ever said...

JP: I am sorry but you lost me...I don't quite understand...but thanks for coming by....

Coffee Messiah said...

What a beautiful family memory.

Sounds like a very nice book could be written about her, and should.

These are the experiences that leave a mark, and you're so lucky to have had the interaction you did, although brief ; (

Thanks for sharing......it is very touching!

Peacechick Mary said...

Thank you. Very inspirational and it gave me the words for what so many of us are experiencing - grieving angry.

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

I am weeping too much to write anything but Thank You, Thank You so kindly. This is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. I will print this and mail this to my mother and my grandmother.

Anonymous said...

Enigma, I remember this, and you know what? Reading it again was like visiting an old friend. You describe it so well, I can practically smell the tea, perfume, pachouli & okra gumbo at your Aunt May's. Racial bigotry was so entrenched, but people like your Aunt remind us not everyone was consumed with hatred. Thank you for reminding us how it was. ~~ D.K.

deuddersun said...

Absolutely fabulous story! I feel as If I knew your Aunt May. (May was my maternal grandmother's name)

What a gal she was, Aunt May! I'm laughing to myself over her decision to allow her cousin to think she was gay rather than reveal her true history.

I would love to post about things like this in my own life. Maybe after the War is over and Bush is gone.

One of my buddy's Dad's was a photographer in New York City when we were growing up. He gave me a ton of proofs of different people he had shot. Fortunately, I kept them and so now I have original proofs of the Beatles, The Dave Clark Five, the Del Vikings, etc. I'll have to take an inventory. Nothing like your pictures, but my own little treasure trove.

d.