Friday, January 21, 2011

End of Countdown Tonight: Keith Olbermann's Sudden On Air Good Bye.....

This just happened with NO Warning...No Explanation.....

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the Link to the November Post when Keith Was suspended and we started an online Petition that gathered over 500,000 signatures in less than 48 hours, on a weekend..... At that point we all realized how much we valued Keith and Countdown. And I thought that we showed MSNBC how much we valued him....But now that Comcast has bought NBC I am sure we are in for some Big Changes....

I have watched this Clip over and over....I don't know what we do now. Last time when he was suspended we did write and call. I know I will write and call and send Keith a Letter....because for 8 years he was Our Glue...He was our Ed Murrow, Our Kronkite...our Voice of calm when things weren't calm...when Gabby was shot just 12 days ago we all kind of knew that his voice is we would hear that night. And when Obama won in November 2008...it was his Voice who announced the Winner....
I am stunned...but I also know if MSNBC curbed him ....then No One is safe...No One.....He was the main anchor in their Night Time Line Up....Do Watch the Video, it is clear that this was NOT his choice....

Call: 212 664-4444 Phil Griffin's email: phil.griffin@nbcuni.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Do read the Post by Josh of TPM ( who was his last guest- and it is clear that he did not know about this), and did not see it coming....
(2) The Guardian has more that is concerning regarding NBC/Comcast please do read and think on the implications of the Comcast take over this week.
(3) LA Times has More and leaves us with more questions....
(4) NYT has more and also leaves us with even more questions.....and concerns...
(5) Richard has more on the Guardian Blog that is worth reading and pondering and raises many questions as to how this is being seen from all over....Keith has fans in other countries too...especially the UK
(6) NY Daily has more insights and information.....
(7) TMZ speculates he was fired which I wouldn't normally post....but..
(8) Bold Progressives have a Petition going DO Sign it....
(9) And of course there is the We Want KEITH OLBERMANN BACK - Facebook page....
(10) David Neiwert at Crooks and Liars has posted more on the MSNBC statement and also Keith's Final Transcript....which if you read it really is very telling folks... ( I will put in the comments too.)
(11) TPM has updated post as of 3AM which raises some concerns about his future, and did NBC/MSNBC put stipulations on his future options ?
(12) Raw Story has more and also has some interesting snippets from Rachel Maddow and her appearence on Bill Maher, and definitely shows that even Maddow did not fully know what was going on....
(13) Washington Post of course weighs in with a rather snitty post calling him "Combative and left Leaning" which is obnoxious, makes me wonder how they describe Beck....but it does have some information on Contracts that has not been mentioned elswhere....not a great read, and The Guardian has better coverage.
(14) More from PING and Wired, which has speculation about the Comcast Take over of NBC starting Monday....
(15) More from Truthout that is worth the read, has more details ( that I trust more than TMZ or other rumoring news....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From David Niewert at Crooks and Liars......The Transcript :
UPDATE: We've now posted Olbermann's thoughtful and well-done farewell. Transcript below:

I think the same fantasy popped into the head of everybody in my business who has ever been told what I have been told -- "this will be the last edition of your show." You go to the scene from the movie Network, complete with the pajamas and the raincoat, and go off on a verbal journey of unutterable vision, and you insist upon Peter Finch's guttural resonance, and you will the viewer to go to the window, open it, stick out his head and yell. You know the rest. In the mundane world of television goodbyes, reality is laughably uncooperative. When I resigned from ESPN 13 1/2 years ago, I was given 30 seconds to say goodbye at the end of my last edition of SportsCenter. With God as my witness, in the commercial break before the moment, the producer got into my earpiece and said, 'Can you cut it down to 15 seconds so we can get in the tennis result?' I'm grateful that I have more time to sign off here.

Regardless, this is the last edition of Countdown. It is just under 8 years since I returned to MSNBC. I was supposed to fill in for exactly three days. 49 days later, there was a year's contract for me to return to this 8:00 time slot that I fled years earlier. The show established its position as anti-establishment with the stage craft of mission accomplished to the exaggerated rescue of Jessica Lynch in Iraq to the death of Pat Tillman to Hurricane Katrina to the nexus of politics and terror to the first Special Comment. The program grew entirely due to your support and great commentary. I hope for you too. There were many occasions where all that surrounded the show, and never the show itself, was too much for me. With your support and loyalty -- if I may use the word insistence -- required that I keep going. My gratitude to you is boundless and you think I have done good here, imagine how it looked as you donated $2 million to the National Association of Free Clinics and my dying father watched from his hospital bed and comforted that his struggles were inspiring such good for people, he and I and you would never meet, but would always know. This may be the only television program where in the host the much more in awe of the audience than vice-versa. We will also be in my heart for that and the donations to the family in Tennessee and these victims of governmental heartlessness in Arizona to say nothing of every letter and tweet and wave and handshake and online petition. Time ebbs here and top the close with more story. It is still Friday. Let me thank my gifted staff and a few of the many people who fought with me and for me: Eric Sorenson, Neal Shapiro, Michael Weiss, David Bloom, John Palmer, Alana Russo. Rachel Maddow and Bob Costas and my greatest protector, the late Tim Russert.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith's Last Thurber Reading was very telling....and it was changed around 7:45PM according to Tweets...Please watch it....I think in many ways there is a Message in it, and that Keith is the "Scotty that Knew Too Much "

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

8 comments:

Carolyn Moon said...

Say it isn't so. Not Keith...."Oh Lawd"!!!

tom said...

Son of a Bitch, he was an ACTUAL journalist...honest and frank
Did NOT pull punches when he interviewed folk...I JUST can't imagine where he will end up next...
so what's that two down?
Dan Rather and now Keith Olberman
we need more facts..
I am stunned

enigma4ever said...

Watch the video...all the clues are there...and the Scottie Story by Thurber...it's all there....

enigma4ever said...

(from huffpo)
MSNBC's statement on Olbermann reads as follows:

MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract. The last broadcast of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" will be this evening. MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors.


In his final goodbye, Olbermann made a point to thank his audience for supporting him when he felt he could not continue the show:

There were many occasions, particularly in the last two-and-a-half years, where all that surrounded the show--but never the show itself--was just too much for me. But your support and loyalty and, if I may use the word, insistence, ultimately required me to keep going. My gratitude to you is boundless and if you think I've done any good here, imagine how it looked from this end...this may be the only television program wherein the host was much more in awe of the audience than vice versa.

D.K. Raed said...

He was my touchstone. If it wasn't for Keith, I'm not sure how I'd have endured the Bush years.

I just watched AC360 interview with David Shuster etc about what they think happened. Nothing is clear but they seem of the opinion that Comcast's scheduled takeover of MSNBC operations next week was the final straw for Keith. He could never have done his show the way he wanted to with the kind of control they would've exerted.

Shuster says just like when he was turfed out by MSNBC, Keith will still be able to do radio and online stuff, but not TV for whatever time his contract stipulated. There were still 2-yrs left on his current contract.

enigma4ever said...

Still trying to figure this out deb..
but on twitter and FB the rumor is that there was a buyout-I hope that is true-for his sake so he can do what he wants....

I am so so sorry...
I don't know what this means...but I think that msnbc lean forward crap is over...

I am too upset to write anything signifigant...meaningful...

Anon-Paranoid said...

Enigma my sweet rose...

Have you seen this?

This is sort of off comment but I thought you might like to read the post I link to below.

There's a good post over at Booman Tribune about a Nazi Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) who believes that the violent rhetoric should not be toned down.

"Following the mass shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that left six dead and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (R-AZ) in the hospital, there have been calls for politicians and pundits to back off violent rhetoric.

But tea party favorite Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) isn't about to let the tragedy change his tone. [...]

"The shooter wins if we, who’ve been elected, change what we do just because of what he did," Lee told ABC."

He says that "The shooter wins". Read post and see how the Reich-wing uses violent rhetoric all the time at link below.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2011/1/23/151537/744

He has video of Beck, Angle, Bachman (R-MN), Oxycontin Rush and a video of a Carnival Game called "Shooting President Obama".

Maybe its time for the Left to start using the same tactics against the Republicans and their Reich-ministry Of Propaganda.

After all we wouldn't want the shooter to win now, do we?

PS: There is an error where Congresswoman Giffords is listed as a (R-AZ) instead of a Democrat from Arizona.

Anon-Paranoid said...

Enigma...

Sorry, forgot that I have to use HTML for posting links on Blogger.

Shooter Wins

This should work now.